Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Final Blog Post

As this class comes to and end I can only look back at fond memories and the knowledge I have gained from Info3pt0. Coming into my freshman year of college I was very nervous about what to expect, specifically what my professors would be like. I can honestly say that Professor Yaros was a great professor to have my first semester of college. This class really changed my view on the world, mostly because of the tech-saviness that Professor Yaros displayed. He was able to show me a lot of things that I never knew were possible. For instance, the privacy lecture where we viewed public records and were able to see certain documents such as mortgage papers etc was fascinating to me. I was able to see the papers my Dad used to buy his first ever house back in 1984. It was scary that the information was so easily accessible, and it wasn't just me who could see it, anyone could see it. That made me think about my privacy. The fact that stalkers, random people, or criminals could do research about me.

The deed to the first house my father bought. I was able to find this using county public records. Scary?
Positive opinions of the digital world that I have gained are general coolness of things in our info3pt0 world. In class we were able to view a lot of cool things. For instance the use of Wimba and Pronto was really cool in my opinion. My sister is a Senior at the University of Michigan, over Thanksgiving I showed her these devices and she was extremely impressed. I am fortunate to have these capabilities as a freshman. Wimba is especially cool because Professor Yaros can video chat with specific students, students can talk via the microphone, the links that can be brought up on a students screen, the polls etc. I view the digital world in a new light because I always new the technologies we discussed in class were out there, it was just a matter of me finding them. My view has not really changed. I am still a little scared about my privacy, but at the same time fascinated by the capabilities of the digital world. I hope several of my classes in the future utilize both Wimba and Pronto.
Wimba-logo.jpg



I would say that they should utilize the technologies that we discussed in class, because they are very useful, both in education and in the real world. How they can utilize the devices is dependent on what the technology is.

In terms of information, colleagues who did not experience this semester can make use of information by learning from it. The internet has released an endless spectrum of information that no one can grasp in one lifetime. People can utilize the information to help them with whatever their profession is. For instance, in this class people were able to relate information and technology to a wide variety of topics. From food, to STD prevention, to sports, all of these can have information and devices in our world related to them as we saw in our class this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment